NetBSD Problem Report #44938

From kamada@nanohz.org  Thu May  5 21:26:55 2011
Return-Path: <kamada@nanohz.org>
Received: from mail.netbsd.org (mail.netbsd.org [204.152.190.11])
	by www.NetBSD.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id CBA8C63C479
	for <gnats-bugs@gnats.NetBSD.org>; Thu,  5 May 2011 21:26:55 +0000 (UTC)
Message-Id: <20110505162757LL%kamada@nanohz.org>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 16:27:57 -0500
From: KAMADA Ken'ichi <kamada@nanohz.org>
To: gnats-bugs@gnats.NetBSD.org
Cc: kamada@nanohz.org
Subject: devel/xulrunner crashes with XFree86 4.5.0 (from netbsd-4)

>Number:         44938
>Category:       pkg
>Synopsis:       devel/xulrunner crashes with XFree86 4.5.0 (from netbsd-4)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Priority:       medium
>Responsible:    pkg-manager
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu May 05 21:30:00 +0000 2011
>Originator:     KAMADA Ken'ichi
>Release:        NetBSD 5.99.51 (with XFree86 4.5.0 from netbsd-4)
>Organization:
>Environment:
System: NetBSD mitana.nanohz.org 5.99.51 NetBSD 5.99.51 (MITANA) #220: Tue Apr 26 16:39:15 CDT 2011 ken@mitana.nanohz.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/MITANA i386
Architecture: i386
Machine: i386

>Description:

xulrunner-2.0 (devel/xulrunner), which is depended on by firefox-4.0
(www/firefox), crashes with XFree86 4.5.0 from netbsd-4.
# Why I cannot upgrade X is another story...

The problem is that two versions of libfontconfig (from /usr/X11R6/lib
and pkgsrc) are mixed, and xulrunner crashes mysteriously.
This is caused by the reversed order in RPATH recorded in
xulrunner-bin and libxul.so.
Usually, pkgsrc binaries have /usr/pkg/lib before /usr/X11R6/lib in
RPATH, but the two binaries (xulrunner-bin and libxul.so) have them in
the reverse order for unknown reasons.

These (for example) are normal:
% objdump -x /usr/pkg/lib/libcairo.so | grep RPATH
  RPATH                /usr/pkg/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
% objdump -x /usr/pkg/lib/xulrunner/libxpcom.so | grep RPATH
  RPATH                /usr/pkg/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/pkg/lib/xulrunner

These two have the strange order:
% objdump -x /usr/pkg/lib/xulrunner/xulrunner-bin | grep RPATH
  RPATH                /usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/pkg/lib:/usr/pkg/lib/xulrunner
% objdump -x /usr/pkg/lib/xulrunner/libxul.so | grep RPATH
  RPATH                /usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/pkg/lib:/usr/pkg/lib/xulrunner

>How-To-Repeat:

Install pkgsrc/www/firefox and run it on netbsd-4.

>Fix:

The correct way to fix should be to fix the order in RPATH,
but I do not know how.

I confirmed that Firefox runs without problems if I replaced RPATH in
the two binaries, like this:
sed 's,/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/pkg/lib:/usr/pkg/lib/xulrunner,/usr/pkg/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/pkg/lib/xulrunner,'

NetBSD Home
NetBSD PR Database Search

(Contact us) $NetBSD: query-full-pr,v 1.39 2013/11/01 18:47:49 spz Exp $
$NetBSD: gnats_config.sh,v 1.8 2006/05/07 09:23:38 tsutsui Exp $
Copyright © 1994-2007 The NetBSD Foundation, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.