NetBSD Problem Report #46774
From www@NetBSD.org Mon Aug 6 08:05:43 2012
Received: from mail.netbsd.org (mail.netbsd.org [126.96.36.199])
by www.NetBSD.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 1776263B882
for <gnats-bugs@gnats.NetBSD.org>; Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:05:43 +0000 (UTC)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:05:42 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Root access without even trying / pkgsrc xdm 1.1.11nb1 badly broken
>Synopsis: Root access without even trying / pkgsrc xdm 1.1.11nb1 badly broken
>Arrival-Date: Mon Aug 06 08:10:00 +0000 2012
>Last-Modified: Tue Aug 07 12:20:01 +0000 2012
>Originator: Andrew Smallshaw
>Release: 5.1 release
NetBSD n1a 5.1 NetBSD 5.1 (GENERIC) #1: Mon Feb 20 19:25:38 GMT 2012 root@furble:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC i386
xdm 1.1.11nb1 is sufficiently badly broken that it's actually difficult to say precisely what's up with it. However the symptoms are:
- Xsetup scripts do not appear the be called regardless of what is stated in xdm-config.
- A script also seems to be missing immediately after user login. Basic variables such as PATH are not set to sane initial values.
- No user change takes effect. xdm accepts username and password then invokes user's .xsession AS ROOT. Any xterms or similar opened up in the following X session are in fact root prompts.
Obviously it is that last one that has the security implications which is why I have categorized this as critical, but it I strongly suspect there is some other underlying root cause of all these issues.
Try building and using xdm from a current pkgsrc of a recent stable release.
Not really a fix but highly effective: roll back to 1.1.9nb1 as the last known good version:
cvs update -rpkgsrc-2010Q1
It seems that there are few enough dependencies mixing up versions like this causes no big issue.
Responsible-Changed-When: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 17:13:31 +0000
Package was miscategorised. security is for problems with things in base.
Change category to pkg and assign to MAINTAINER.
From: "OBATA Akio" <email@example.com>
Subject: Re: pkg/46774 (Root access without even trying / pkgsrc xdm 1.1.11nb1
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 21:17:29 +0900
1. install x11/xdm with X11_TYPE=modular
2. /usr/pkg/share/example/rc.d/xdm onestart with `root' user.
3. login my user and password via XDM
4. cat ~/.xsession
5. prompt of xterm is mine
Please let me know how to reproduce your problem.
OBATA Akio / obache@NetBSD.org
$NetBSD: query-full-pr,v 1.39 2013/11/01 18:47:49 spz Exp $
$NetBSD: gnats_config.sh,v 1.8 2006/05/07 09:23:38 tsutsui Exp $
Copyright © 1994-2007
The NetBSD Foundation, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.