NetBSD Problem Report #48534

From martin@duskware.de  Mon Jan 20 10:13:20 2014
Return-Path: <martin@duskware.de>
Received: from mail.netbsd.org (mail.netbsd.org [149.20.53.66])
	(using TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
	(Client CN "mail.NetBSD.org", Issuer "Postmaster NetBSD.org" (not verified))
	by mollari.NetBSD.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 770F7A6486
	for <gnats-bugs@gnats.NetBSD.org>; Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:13:20 +0000 (UTC)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:13:15 CET
From: martin@NetBSD.org
Reply-To: martin@NetBSD.org
To: gnats-bugs@NetBSD.org
Subject: bogus file names in source tree
X-Send-Pr-Version: 3.95

>Number:         48534
>Category:       toolchain
>Synopsis:       bogus file names in source tree
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Priority:       medium
>Responsible:    toolchain-manager
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Jan 20 10:15:01 +0000 2014
>Last-Modified:  Sun Jun 12 03:45:00 +0000 2016
>Originator:     Martin Husemann
>Release:        NetBSD 6.99.29
>Organization:
The NetBSD Foundation, Inc
>Environment:
System: NetBSD night-owl.duskware.de 6.99.29 NetBSD 6.99.29 (NIGHT-OWL) #218: Mon Jan 20 07:57:02 CET 2014 martin@night-owl.duskware.de:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/NIGHT-OWL amd64
Architecture: x86_64
Machine: amd64
>Description:

The LLVM source tree contains file names including spaces. This is 
generally avoided in the netbsd source tree for ease of scripting.

>How-To-Repeat:

cd /usr/src/external/bsd/llvm && find . -name \*\ \*
./dist/clang/test/ARCMT/with space
./dist/clang/www/demo/what is this directory.txt
./dist/llvm/test/DebugInfo/Inputs/dwarfdump-test3.elf-x86-64 space


>Fix:
please remove or rename in import script

>Audit-Trail:
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
To: gnats-bugs@NetBSD.org
Cc: 
Subject: Re: toolchain/48534: bogus file names in source tree
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:39:11 +0100

 On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:15:01AM +0000, martin@NetBSD.org wrote:
 > >Number:         48534
 > >Category:       toolchain
 > >Synopsis:       bogus file names in source tree
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       serious
 > >Priority:       medium
 > >Responsible:    toolchain-manager
 > >State:          open
 > >Class:          change-request
 > >Submitter-Id:   net
 > >Arrival-Date:   Mon Jan 20 10:15:01 +0000 2014
 > >Originator:     Martin Husemann
 > >Release:        NetBSD 6.99.29
 > >Organization:
 > The NetBSD Foundation, Inc
 > >Environment:
 > System: NetBSD night-owl.duskware.de 6.99.29 NetBSD 6.99.29 (NIGHT-OWL) #218: Mon Jan 20 07:57:02 CET 2014 martin@night-owl.duskware.de:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/NIGHT-OWL amd64
 > Architecture: x86_64
 > Machine: amd64
 > >Description:
 > 
 > The LLVM source tree contains file names including spaces. This is 
 > generally avoided in the netbsd source tree for ease of scripting.
 > 
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > 
 > cd /usr/src/external/bsd/llvm && find . -name \*\ \*
 > ./dist/clang/test/ARCMT/with space
 > ./dist/clang/www/demo/what is this directory.txt
 > ./dist/llvm/test/DebugInfo/Inputs/dwarfdump-test3.elf-x86-64 space

 The ARCMT test case is intended exactly for testing support of file
 names with spaces. Same for the dwarfdump test. As such, I see no reason
 for changing this.

 Joerg

From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
To: gnats-bugs@NetBSD.org
Cc: toolchain-manager@netbsd.org, gnats-admin@netbsd.org,
    netbsd-bugs@netbsd.org, martin@NetBSD.org
Subject: re: toolchain/48534: bogus file names in source tree
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 14:15:49 +1100

 i'm with martin.

 i see no reason to keep these tests in our tree just to check
 if this functionality works.  they should be converted to be
 run-time created objects in the objdir, IMO.


 .mrg.

From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
To: gnats-bugs@NetBSD.org
Cc: 
Subject: Re: toolchain/48534: bogus file names in source tree
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:42:36 +0200

 On Fri, 24 Jan 2014, matthew green wrote:
 > i see no reason to keep these tests in our tree just to check
 > if this functionality works.  they should be converted to be
 > run-time created objects in the objdir, IMO.

 I think that we should run the tests.  However, the files with 
 spaces in their names should be created in the objdir from sources 
 that do not have spaces in their names.  After all, the idea is 
 to test whether LLVM can handle files with unusual names, not 
 to cause stress for the source code management system, regular 
 maintenance scripts, ad hoc command line actions, or anything else 
 done by the sysadmin or user.

 --apb (Alan Barrett)

From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
To: Aleksej Saushev <asau@inbox.ru>
Cc: gnats-bugs@NetBSD.org
Subject: Re: toolchain/48534: bogus file names in source tree
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 15:13:48 +0100

 [You did not copy gnats-bugs, I suppose accidently]

 On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 08:03:26AM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
 > I think that the source code management system and regular maintainance
 > scripts ought to be fixed instead.

 Neither the source code management nor any regular maintaninance scripts
 run on TNF machines have any problems with the files in question. There
 is nothing to fix here.

 However: besides the ones in llvm we have no files with spaces in
 the repository. This simplifies a lot of ad-hoc tasks for developers
 (like find . -name ... | xargs rm), which in general need a lot of thinking,
 testing or use of other/more complex tools.

 Giving this up for no good reason is just very lame.

 Martin

From: Aleksej Saushev <asau@inbox.ru>
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
Cc: gnats-bugs@NetBSD.org
Subject: Re: toolchain/48534: bogus file names in source tree
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 07:52:18 +0400

 Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> writes:

 > [You did not copy gnats-bugs, I suppose accidently]
 >
 > On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 08:03:26AM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
 >> I think that the source code management system and regular maintainance
 >> scripts ought to be fixed instead.
 >
 > Neither the source code management nor any regular maintaninance scripts
 > run on TNF machines have any problems with the files in question. There
 > is nothing to fix here.
 >
 > However: besides the ones in llvm we have no files with spaces in
 > the repository. This simplifies a lot of ad-hoc tasks for developers
 > (like find . -name ... | xargs rm), which in general need a lot of thinking,
 > testing or use of other/more complex tools.
 >
 > Giving this up for no good reason is just very lame.

 No, it is not lame in any way. It is important to learn working with
 such files in ad hoc tasks. In particular, we should learn to avoid
 habits of using broken tools like xargs. If we need to improve tools
 in order to achieve that, we ought to improve them rather than run away
 from it. You don't help to improve anything if you force everyone to
 stick to old conventions that support old habits.


 -- 
 HE CE3OH...

From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
To: gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Cc: toolchain-manager@netbsd.org, gnats-admin@netbsd.org,
        netbsd-bugs@netbsd.org, martin@netbsd.org
Subject: Re: toolchain/48534: bogus file names in source tree
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 05:16:35 +0100

 On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 03:55:01AM +0000, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
 >  > On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 08:03:26AM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
 >  >> I think that the source code management system and regular maintainance
 >  >> scripts ought to be fixed instead.
 >  >
 >  > Neither the source code management nor any regular maintaninance scripts
 >  > run on TNF machines have any problems with the files in question. There
 >  > is nothing to fix here.
 >  >
 >  > However: besides the ones in llvm we have no files with spaces in
 >  > the repository. This simplifies a lot of ad-hoc tasks for developers
 >  > (like find . -name ... | xargs rm), which in general need a lot of thinking,
 >  > testing or use of other/more complex tools.
 >  >
 >  > Giving this up for no good reason is just very lame.
 >  
 >  No, it is not lame in any way. It is important to learn working with
 >  such files in ad hoc tasks. In particular, we should learn to avoid
 >  habits of using broken tools like xargs. If we need to improve tools
 >  in order to achieve that, we ought to improve them rather than run away
 >  from it. You don't help to improve anything if you force everyone to
 >  stick to old conventions that support old habits.

 Aleksej, there is a reason find(1) has a -print0 clause, and xargs(1)
 has a -0 argument.

 Martin's right, we should keep these tests.

 Regards,
 Alistair

From: Aleksej Saushev <asau@inbox.ru>
To: gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Cc: 
Subject: Re: toolchain/48534: bogus file names in source tree
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 09:25:47 +0400

 Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org> writes:

 > On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 03:55:01AM +0000, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
 >>  > On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 08:03:26AM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
 >>  >> I think that the source code management system and regular maintainance
 >>  >> scripts ought to be fixed instead.
 >>  >
 >>  > Neither the source code management nor any regular maintaninance scripts
 >>  > run on TNF machines have any problems with the files in question. There
 >>  > is nothing to fix here.
 >>  >
 >>  > However: besides the ones in llvm we have no files with spaces in
 >>  > the repository. This simplifies a lot of ad-hoc tasks for developers
 >>  > (like find . -name ... | xargs rm), which in general need a lot of thinking,
 >>  > testing or use of other/more complex tools.
 >>  >
 >>  > Giving this up for no good reason is just very lame.
 >>  
 >>  No, it is not lame in any way. It is important to learn working with
 >>  such files in ad hoc tasks. In particular, we should learn to avoid
 >>  habits of using broken tools like xargs. If we need to improve tools
 >>  in order to achieve that, we ought to improve them rather than run away
 >>  from it. You don't help to improve anything if you force everyone to
 >>  stick to old conventions that support old habits.
 >
 > Aleksej, there is a reason find(1) has a -print0 clause, and xargs(1)
 > has a -0 argument.

 Sure, find(1) has "-exec" too. But some other tools do not have
 corresponding features.

 > Martin's right, we should keep these tests.

 I don't understand who is arguing for what then.

 My point is that removing or renaming files just because they have
 spaces in names is stupid. These are not nineties, spaces in file names
 are common, and we ought to get used to that rather.


 -- 
 HE CE3OH...

From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
Cc: toolchain-manager@netbsd.org, gnats-admin@netbsd.org,
    netbsd-bugs@netbsd.org, martin@netbsd.org, gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Subject: re: toolchain/48534: bogus file names in source tree
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 16:57:23 +1100

 > Aleksej, there is a reason find(1) has a -print0 clause, and xargs(1)
 > has a -0 argument.

 *shudder*

 i recommend "find ... -printx", and avoiding nul-terminated
 anythings for shell pipes.

 enjoy :-)


 .mrg.

From: mlelstv@serpens.de (Michael van Elst)
To: gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Cc: 
Subject: Re: toolchain/48534: bogus file names in source tree
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 11:28:35 +0000 (UTC)

 asau@inbox.ru (Aleksej Saushev) writes:

 > My point is that removing or renaming files just because they have
 > spaces in names is stupid. These are not nineties, spaces in file names
 > are common, and we ought to get used to that rather.

 Shall we also get used to white space in variable names?

From: David Holland <dholland-bugs@netbsd.org>
To: gnats-bugs@NetBSD.org
Cc: 
Subject: Re: toolchain/48534: bogus file names in source tree
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 04:45:17 +0000

 On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 11:30:00AM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
  >  > My point is that removing or renaming files just because they have
  >  > spaces in names is stupid. These are not nineties, spaces in file names
  >  > are common, and we ought to get used to that rather.
  >  
  >  Shall we also get used to white space in variable names?

 Sure, why not? :-) Make does it, after all...

 X=x
 SPACE=$(X:x= )
 FU$(SPACE)BAR=fubar

 all:
 	@echo $(FU BAR)

 -- 
 David A. Holland
 dholland@netbsd.org

From: David Holland <dholland-bugs@netbsd.org>
To: gnats-bugs@NetBSD.org
Cc: 
Subject: Re: toolchain/48534: bogus file names in source tree
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 03:40:36 +0000

 On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 08:45:01AM +0000, Alan Barrett wrote:
  >  On Fri, 24 Jan 2014, matthew green wrote:
  >  > i see no reason to keep these tests in our tree just to check
  >  > if this functionality works.  they should be converted to be
  >  > run-time created objects in the objdir, IMO.
  >  
  >  I think that we should run the tests.  However, the files with 
  >  spaces in their names should be created in the objdir from sources 
  >  that do not have spaces in their names.  After all, the idea is 
  >  to test whether LLVM can handle files with unusual names, not 
  >  to cause stress for the source code management system, regular 
  >  maintenance scripts, ad hoc command line actions, or anything else 
  >  done by the sysadmin or user.

 Can someone please just do this? I stepped on this again the other day
 and it's just a completely unnecessary annoyance/hassle to have those
 files there.

 -- 
 David A. Holland
 dholland@netbsd.org

NetBSD Home
NetBSD PR Database Search

(Contact us) $NetBSD: query-full-pr,v 1.39 2013/11/01 18:47:49 spz Exp $
$NetBSD: gnats_config.sh,v 1.8 2006/05/07 09:23:38 tsutsui Exp $
Copyright © 1994-2007 The NetBSD Foundation, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.