NetBSD Problem Report #53718

From martin@duskware.de  Sat Nov 10 15:45:49 2018
Return-Path: <martin@duskware.de>
Received: from mail.netbsd.org (mail.netbsd.org [199.233.217.200])
	(using TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits))
	(Client CN "mail.NetBSD.org", Issuer "mail.NetBSD.org CA" (not verified))
	by mollari.NetBSD.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id AD6587A1B1
	for <gnats-bugs@gnats.NetBSD.org>; Sat, 10 Nov 2018 15:45:49 +0000 (UTC)
From: martin@NetBSD.org
Reply-To: martin@NetBSD.org
To: gnats-bugs@NetBSD.org
Subject: xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more
X-Send-Pr-Version: 3.95

>Number:         53718
>Category:       pkg
>Synopsis:       xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Priority:       high
>Responsible:    bsiegert
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sat Nov 10 15:50:00 +0000 2018
>Last-Modified:  Sun Jan 13 00:25:01 +0000 2019
>Originator:     Martin Husemann
>Release:        NetBSD 8.99.25
>Organization:
The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.
>Environment:
System: NetBSD night-owl.duskware.de 8.99.25 NetBSD 8.99.25 (NIGHT-OWL) #628: Sat Nov 10 16:35:28 CET 2018 martin@night-owl.duskware.de:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/NIGHT-OWL amd64
Architecture: x86_64
Machine: amd64
>Description:

I just updated all of xfce4 to the latest version in -current pkgsrc
and now I can't move windows with the mouse any more.

>How-To-Repeat:

Run xfce4.

>Fix:
n/a

>Release-Note:

>Audit-Trail:

Responsible-Changed-From-To: pkg-manager->bsiegert
Responsible-Changed-By: leot@NetBSD.org
Responsible-Changed-When: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 15:53:22 +0000
Responsible-Changed-Why:
Benny, can you please give it a look?
(over to last updater)


From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
To: gnats-bugs@NetBSD.org
Cc: bsiegert@NetBSD.org, pkg-manager@netbsd.org, pkgsrc-bugs@netbsd.org,
	gnats-admin@netbsd.org, leot@NetBSD.org, martin@NetBSD.org
Subject: Re: pkg/53718 (xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:58:25 +0100

 Hmm, it is not quite that simpel to reproduce - have to investigate more,
 it sometimes works, maybe some xf*d does not startup properly/automatically
 in my setup?

 I start from xdm and have this in my .xsession:

 --8<--
 #! /bin/sh

 eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
 exec startxfce4
 -->8--

 Martin

From: Benny Siegert <bsiegert@netbsd.org>
To: gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Cc: gnats-admin@netbsd.org, pkgsrc-bugs@netbsd.org, 
	Martin Husemann <martin@netbsd.org>
Subject: Re: pkg/53718 (xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 17:10:25 +0100

 I see similar issues actually. As far as I can tell, xfwm4 wedges
 itself at some point when you move a window -- the first time works,
 then it somehow hangs. You may notice that in this situation,
 right-click on a title bar does not bring up a context menu.

 In this situation, you can still "pkill xfwm4", at which point
 xfce4-session will relaunch it and it will work again for a while.

 Martin: would you like me to downgrade the package for now?
 On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 5:00 PM Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:
 >
 > The following reply was made to PR pkg/53718; it has been noted by GNATS.
 >
 > From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
 > To: gnats-bugs@NetBSD.org
 > Cc: bsiegert@NetBSD.org, pkg-manager@netbsd.org, pkgsrc-bugs@netbsd.org,
 >         gnats-admin@netbsd.org, leot@NetBSD.org, martin@NetBSD.org
 > Subject: Re: pkg/53718 (xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more)
 > Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 16:58:25 +0100
 >
 >  Hmm, it is not quite that simpel to reproduce - have to investigate more,
 >  it sometimes works, maybe some xf*d does not startup properly/automatically
 >  in my setup?
 >
 >  I start from xdm and have this in my .xsession:
 >
 >  --8<--
 >  #! /bin/sh
 >
 >  eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
 >  exec startxfce4
 >  -->8--
 >
 >  Martin
 >

From: Benny Siegert <bsiegert@netbsd.org>
To: gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Cc: gnats-admin@netbsd.org, pkgsrc-bugs@netbsd.org, 
	Martin Husemann <martin@netbsd.org>
Subject: Re: pkg/53718 (xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 17:11:41 +0100

 Note: this looks exactly like https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14611.

From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
To: Benny Siegert <bsiegert@netbsd.org>
Cc: gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Subject: Re: pkg/53718 (xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 17:22:21 +0100

 On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 05:10:25PM +0100, Benny Siegert wrote:
 > Martin: would you like me to downgrade the package for now?

 No hurry, let's diagnose and fix in-time for the next quarterly release.

 Martin

From: "David H. Gutteridge" <david@gutteridge.ca>
To: gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Cc: 
Subject: Re: pkg/53718 (xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 00:43:17 -0500

 I'm not able to reproduce this with xfwm4 4.13.1 on NetBSD-8.0_STABLE,
 using Intel integrated graphics on a T420. Dragging windows still
 works consistently for me. Could there be some difference between X11
 releases or the DRM stack in use that could explain this?

 Dave


From: Benny Siegert <bsiegert@netbsd.org>
To: gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Cc: gnats-admin@netbsd.org, pkgsrc-bugs@netbsd.org, 
	Martin Husemann <martin@netbsd.org>
Subject: Re: pkg/53718 (xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more)
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 18:26:52 +0100

 >  I'm not able to reproduce this with xfwm4 4.13.1 on NetBSD-8.0_STABLE,
 >  using Intel integrated graphics on a T420. Dragging windows still
 >  works consistently for me. Could there be some difference between X11
 >  releases or the DRM stack in use that could explain this?

 Maybe. My setup is:

 - NetBSD 8.99.25
 - Intel DRM
 - Modular X11 from pkgsrc, including xf86-video-intel-git

 Martin, what setup are you on?

From: "David H. Gutteridge" <david@gutteridge.ca>
To: gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Cc: 
Subject: Re: pkg/53718 (xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more)
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 22:21:46 -0500

 On Wed, 21 Nov 2018, at 18:26:52 +0100, Benny Siegert wrote:
 >Maybe. My setup is:
 >
 >- NetBSD 8.99.25
 >- Intel DRM
 >- Modular X11 from pkgsrc, including xf86-video-intel-git

 I should have added, I'm using X11 from NetBSD base, not the modular
 version from pkgsrc.

 Dave


From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
To: gnats-bugs@NetBSD.org
Cc: 
Subject: Re: pkg/53718 (xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more)
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 09:57:35 +0100

 On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 03:25:01AM +0000, David H. Gutteridge wrote:
 >  On Wed, 21 Nov 2018, at 18:26:52 +0100, Benny Siegert wrote:
 >  >Maybe. My setup is:
 >  >
 >  >- NetBSD 8.99.25
 >  >- Intel DRM
 >  >- Modular X11 from pkgsrc, including xf86-video-intel-git
 >  
 >  I should have added, I'm using X11 from NetBSD base, not the modular
 >  version from pkgsrc.

 I have NetBSD 8.99.25, Radeon, X11 from base.

 Martin

From: coypu@sdf.org
To: gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Cc: 
Subject: Re: pkg/53718 (xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more)
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 11:52:08 +0000

 Hi,

 can someone with the problem send the following:

 - Output of 'glxinfo'
 - config.log for xfce4-wm, (does it have HAVE_PRESENT_EXTENSION)
 Or,
 - output of `xfwm4 --version`


 Going by a diff,


 +4.3) VSYNC and tearing
 +======================
 +
 +Starting with version 4.13, xfwm4 now supports VSYNC via two different
 +method, either using OpenGL or the Present X11 extension.
 +
 +xfwm4 relies on libepoxy for OpenGL, and on libXpresent for Present support.
 +
 +Support for those features can be checked using "xfwm4 --version":
 +
 +	Build configuration and supported features:
 +        ...
 +	- Xpresent support:                             Yes
 +	- Embedded compositor:                          Yes
 +	- Epoxy support:                                Yes
 +        ...
 +
 +If both VSYNC methods are available, xfwm4 will prefer Present over OpenGL.

 I can imagine a scenario where it waits for a vblank to update the
 changed windows but it never comes.

 It would be nice if someone is adventurous, to force disable xpresent.
 Add
 CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--disable-xpresent
 to xfce4-wm Makefile, make replace.

 Thanks.

From: coypu@sdf.org
To: gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Cc: 
Subject: Re: pkg/53718 (xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more)
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 11:57:58 +0000

 What setup works and what setup fails?

 I get the impression:

 netbsd-8		base xsrc		intel	OK
 netbsd-current		base xsrc		radeon	BAD

 What about benny?
 And which radeon is it?

From: "David H. Gutteridge" <david@gutteridge.ca>
To: gnats-bugs@netbsd.org
Cc: copyu@sdf.org
Subject: Re: pkg/53718 (xfwm4 does not allow positioning of windows any more)
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 19:23:18 -0500

 On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, at 11:55:01 +0000 (UTC), coypu@sdf.org wrote:
 > I can imagine a scenario where it waits for a vblank to update the
 >  changed windows but it never comes.
 >  
 >  It would be nice if someone is adventurous, to force disable
 > xpresent.
 >  Add
 >  CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--disable-xpresent
 >  to xfce4-wm Makefile, make replace.

 I've done so, and am running with Xpresent disabled now. It works, but
 there is some weirdness with windows I wasn't seeing before. (I'm the
 "known good" case with 8.0_STABLE/amd64/base X.org/Intel.) They can get
 into a state where they start repositioning themselves when I try to
 simply move the mouse pointer, and also sometimes refuse to resize and
 such. Other than that, I'm not seeing any problems, so far.

 Dave


>Unformatted:

NetBSD Home
NetBSD PR Database Search

(Contact us) $NetBSD: query-full-pr,v 1.43 2018/01/16 07:36:43 maya Exp $
$NetBSD: gnats_config.sh,v 1.9 2014/08/02 14:16:04 spz Exp $
Copyright © 1994-2017 The NetBSD Foundation, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.